Car battery, usually lead acid, is 12-volt with six 2 volt cells connected in series and Marine batteries, usually deep cycle are expensive items to replace. The main cause of the damage to lead acid batteries is when left sitting for any length of time.
Weather is the main factor for any marine battery failure. Car batteries suffer the same when the auto is stored or not used for months.
Adding a battery additive when new will prolong the car battery life and the battery will have a better response to reconditioning.
Every car and marine battery has a limited lifespan to run the power electrical systems in the car or vessel at the highest level of efficiency.
THE DEAD BATTERY EFFECT.
The efficiency of the battery reduces when used in excess and slowly decreases usually because of sulphation on the battery plates which is the most common cause of decreased battery performance in lead acid car batteries.
Sulpfation occurs when sulfur collects on the lead plates in the battery, blocking the electric current. It is not hard to recondition car battery at home by following a guide.
This stops the production of electricity passing between the plates and this is when the battery needs restoring or reconditioning.
“Epsom salts, distilled water and a Voltmeter. Sulpfation does cause irreversible corrosion of the lead plates so this process will only work couple of times. It is a simple process to try and get your battery back to performing.”
Test your car battery to see if it will respond to reconditioning. In order to recondition a car battery at home, it needs to register 12 volts on a voltmeter.
The car battery reads between 10 and 12 volts, you may be able to restore the battery to full operation, 10 volts or lower you most likely have one cell [2 volts] collapsed and reconditioning the battery may be a waste of time.
1. Car batteries contain sulfuric acid, dangerous to humans and the environment
2. Work only in a well-ventilated area
3. Do not work around or near open flames.
4. Wear safety goggles and rubber gloves.
5. If you do get acid on your skin, wash it with plenty of water immediately.